Blog Off Season Race Reports Training

From Vegas to Virginia to (slow paced) Vacation

The 2013 racing season has officially ended for me, and given the circumstances, there are no ‘maybe one more race’ options this time! And sadly, I will have to skip my off-season 5k regimen as well. But it’s all good, as I have been able to address an issue that has been plaguing me all year.

Swim Westin Sighting

westin talk room

talking with man 2

Giving a talk at The Westin Lake Las Vegas pre-race

To backtrack, Vegas ended up being a fairly decent race; definitely all that I had in me on the day, finding me 9th overall. Of course it is a bit disappointing given 2012’s runner-up finish, but all things considered, I knew that a Top 10 was the goal; on a great day, maybe I could sneak into Top 5. I managed to put aside my doubts and tried to shove the slight lack of confidence under the rug on race morning, telling myself anything could happen. I was aggressive on the swim, about 15 seconds off the top pace, and able to exit T1 in first place. The bike was rainy and on the cool side, but I tried to start off as aggressively as I could and just give it all from the gun. I managed to hold a decent position for 10-15 miles, but I could feel my power and energy sapping a bit as I went and small pack by small pack powered by me. I came into T2 far, far back, but again tried to put my head down and run like hell. Much to my surprise, I moved up many spots and also posted the 3rd best run (only about 30 seconds behind Mel, the eventual winner, who is in dominating form right now). It didn’t  feel awful but it definitely did not feel smooth. But, all that said, I was very proud of the effort and pleased that I hadn’t backed out. It gave me a few valuable points for the 2014 Qualifying season and in the big picture, it was still a Top 10 World Champs finish in an extremely competitive field. I have said it before and I’ll say it again. To race well when you’re in a groove is so easy; it’s that state of ‘flow’, it’s blissful, as if you are on autopilot. But to have the courage to toe the line even when you KNOW the top end performance is not there, is very, very tough. But I really believe to be able to do this and accept it for what it is makes you a far strong athlete (and person) in the long run.

SpeedZoot Standing Hotel Cool Pic

R Serrano Bike Bic TT Position

K Run Vegas Good

Kelly Smiling Dinner

Post race dinner with family, relieved it was over with!

I desperately wanted to race Rev 3 Branson, however after coming back to Austin and attempting a local Splash & Dash (750-m swim/3k run; really the world’s perfect race if you ask me!), I found myself walking only .5 km into the run due to my left leg literally shutting off entirely; pain, aching, weak, totally useless. At that point, I knew I had to stop trying to push past this and deal with it; my body was speaking loudly to me, and I needed to listen.

We headed to University of Virginia the next week to see a vascular surgeon there who deals specifically with endofibrosis of the external iliac artery, which was our most likely guess as to what this was. We did some diagnostic testing on Wednesday, one where we measured my blood pressure in arms and legs pre and post riding hard. It took me only 10 minutes on a bike to induce the pain in my left leg; we ramped up 20W every 2 minutes, and at 260-270W, I could not keep going. I hopped off and we did blood pressure immediately in my legs; my left leg the ABI (ankle-brachial index) was .43, in the right leg, 1.01. This basically told us that when I go hard (in my opinion above 80% or so), my left leg was, in a way, suffocating. Blood was not flowing adequately. The next test was an arteriogram. I got put into a happy place with some twilight anesthesia (and a local anesthetic) and they inserted a tube into my right hip which went up to my aorta, and shot dye down my left side (common iliac artery to external iliac artery). They then looked at this image, seeing only the dye. When I chatted with the doc, he told me that he could clearly see that the external iliac artery was narrowed and this was the cause of the problem.

I had thought long and hard… for months, actually…about this procedure, pretty convinced this is what it was. I had read numerous research articles, talked to many athletes who have been through this, and even had the privilege of speaking to a few other doctors about the issue.  The doctor I was seeing was the one who came the most recommended and had done his fair share of research as well as numerous surgeries of this type. I decided to go for it, and get the surgery the next day (we had tentatively planned the surgery in case the tests were positive).

So onto surgery we went. I’ll spare you some of the gory details, but I was scheduled for a noon surgery the next day and no food or drink after midnight. Brutal! Derick got Mellow Mushroom pizza which we ate in the hospital room (take that back; gorged on) topped off with a decadent cupcake, fashionable late dinner of 9pm. The next day I waited anxiously, went into surgery at about 12:30, and by 4:30pm or so I was back in my recovery room; dazed and confused, of course; relieved to hear that evening that the surgery went very well. The angiogram slightly underestimated the issue and the ‘diseased section’ of artery was slightly longer than he had anticipated, therefore instead of opening it up and putting a patch on it, he had to remove a section of it and replace it with an ‘interposition graft’. Additionally he released my inguinal ligament which is said to cause additional irritation to this area. This left me with two incisions on my left side and a gigantic belly and abdomen of bloat. I stuck around the hospital Friday, was about to get released Saturday but decided I liked it too much to leave (as I was getting my discharge instructions, I told Mr. Nurse I didn’t feel so well and proceeded to get sick in the trash can; anti-nausea meds and I did it again 1 hr later; I’m not a fan of pain meds) and stayed until Sunday when I could keep food down. I managed a few short walks around the floor, but otherwise, laid, slept and rested. Derick and I were out on Sunday and went to his Aunt and Uncle’s house about 1 hr away in Virginia, a perfect place to recover Sunday evening, before flying to Austin on Monday. I underestimated the belly bloat. I had to change my clothes mid-flight from stretch Capri pants and a loose tank to a long dress as my stomach was getting painfully compressed! Amazing how the body can transform itself.

So here we are, 1 week post surgery and hopefully 1 week closer to feeling more like myself when the training kicks back in. That said, I am in no hurry. I am given instructions of 4-6 weeks of predominantly walking, progressively longer as I feel, then easing in some swimming, stretching, strength and cycling back in. I will fully embrace this rest; no better time of the year for it. And truthfully, I was not only physically worn out but mentally and emotionally. This ‘disease’ (which it technically is) is extremely draining. You find yourself questioning “Is this in my head? Is this my fitness lacking? Maybe I’m washed up… maybe I just can’t hold this power,” combined with the questions I had all season of simply wondering IF this even was the issue at hand.  While it was good to get some answers, of course the solution of surgery is always a daunting path to go down. But the alternative was to completely give up racing, and not just that, but give up going harder than 80%, as this does not reverse itself and will only get progressively worse.

I feel good about my decision and I’m optimistic about what the future holds. I haven’t even found myself asking “Why did I get this”… I guess I have been racing long enough to realize that we don’t know these answers and it doesn’t really matter. Sometimes life hands you challenges and you deal with them. They strengthen you in so many ways. I feel extremely blessed to have gotten this figured out and addressed so quickly, especially with the help of a brilliant doctor at Memorial Hermann who was thorough thought outside the box, and I do believe…always have…that things happen for a reason. I think this will ignite my passion even moreso for what I do; to get out there and push myself to the biggest possible limits and to appreciate every moment of it.

I have got to send out a few huge thank yous…to my sponsors: Memorial Hermann, Zoot, PowerBar, Reynolds, Quintana Roo, Recovery Pump, The Westin Lake Las Vegas, ISM, Giro, Campagnolo, Road ID, Jack & Adams, Oakley, Durata Traning, Katalyst Multisport, SRM, Profile Design, Atomic High Performance, Nulo. and Endurance Shield … for your ongoing support throughout the season and the past seasons; you allow me to make a living with my passion. A huge thank you to my husband Derick, who has been with me through these ups and downs more than anyone; he has been patient, understanding, and an integral part of helping me get through this year. And to my friends and family who have reached out with support. I kept this fairly on the down low until I knew what we were dealing with, but I like to be as open as possible about the things I am going through. I have learned you’ve got to be able to take it all in stride; and no matter what happens, keep putting one foot on front of the other. On that note, I am off for a stroll.

Thanks for stopping by,



pro panel nice one

westin talk good smiling

R Serrano Run Gel Flask 2

Hospital feet waiting

Surgery day; waiting; organized; toes polished. I got a few compliments from the surgeons!

Handstands in Water

Having fun at The Westin beach… loved handstands since I was 10, some things never change…

6 replies on “From Vegas to Virginia to (slow paced) Vacation”

Dear Kelly,

Hope you are in good spirits. Wow, you went through quite an ordeal. Just another reminder how lucky we are if we are feeling healthy and well. Glad they figured everything out!
Best wishes, there is no doubt in my mind you’ll be back stronger and more determined.
Greet Derick.


Eva hagen

All the best for your recovery Kelly. Funny reading this made me re-live my surgeries! I did the exact same thing the first time i tried to check out of hospital.. ended up staying in an extra day. And oooo the belly bloat!! It’s like instantly 6 months pregnant haha. Take care and recover well xx

Liz – Thank you, your help was instrumental in all of this! I can’t say that enough. Now you’re done with me bugging you! Kick ass this weekend, pulling for you. Eva – Thanks so much and always GREAT to hear from you! Give my best to Mike, we’ll need to meet up if/when back in the Springs. 🙂

Kelly you are a tremendous force of all things good and I am so happy that you are on the upswing! Take very good care of yourself. Thinking of you strolling along….

Wishing you a speedy recovery and no more belly bloat!! So happy that you had a positive outcome with diagnosis and surgery. Thanks for sharing your story! Your positive attitude is always a reminder to me to not dwell on the negative. Look forward to seeing you walking on the trail and in the pool soon!

Thank you so much for sharing this….I think I have been battling something similar for the past 8 months and the way you described the feeling of dealing with is is exactly how I feel. I have an appointment with a vascular doc and hope I get answers too. I hope you are feeling great now!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *